Saturday, November 1, 2014

Bed and Breakfast Mugging

There was a mugging in the street in front of the bnb. One guy ran between the house next door and my room, screaming for help. I heard a gun shot and heard him scream again and thought he'd been shot. I saw him run back out from between the houses (the alley ends in locked gates) as he continued screaming. I was frozen to my bed and didn't move for an hour, as I kept hearing the guy get further and further away. WTF?

The following quotes and the gist of what she said, not verbatim.

Nancy assured me the next day that this has never happened in her neighborhood in the years they have lived there. “Everything's okay now,” she said. “The police came and -- there were a small group of girls and boys in front of the house trying to steal a purse when the women's friend resisted and was hit over the head with the pistol handle. An ambulance took him to the hospital. Just a lot of bleeding, you know as bad as head wounds get.”

But I heard a gun shot, I told her, to which she didn’t reply, but repeated the story about the guy and the pistol and the ambulance. “The police took care of everything. They’re meeting with us and neighbors about this Saturday morning. All the neighbors came out when they heard the guy screaming, so I’m glad you stayed in your room, no sense in your getting involved.”

I told her I saw the guy run between the houses and he was screaming.

I know, but everythings cool now, she said, and assured me on three other occasions during my stay that it never happens, yada yada.

I knew if I included any mention of the mugging in a public it could run her bnb business. But I’m not being honest. Should other guests know about what happened to me?


Other than that (welcome to Oakland!) everything was exactly as other reviewers have described. I had chosen that location because I could easily walk to my son’s house, where I saw my new granddaughter and spent the days with him and his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment