Saturday, November 1, 2014

Letter to Samantha at the Bookstore

Hi, Sam,

What a pleasant surprise to get your note on Saturday, my last day at the store. I want to be called when you are in town so I can come see you on a visit to Warwicks.

You were also a delight to work with. I love your sense of humor and camaraderie and will miss working with you.  But I won’t miss working! When I left Saturday I realized it was the last time I would ever have to clock out. What a relief.

I’d been talking with Moreen for about two years regarding retirement. Things kind of fell into place the last six months until I realized I could take that step.

Janet’s leaving at the end of October, too. She’ll be 65 and she said it will be time for her to retire. Except for John and Adriana, no one else in the pod has been there more than three years (I think.) It will become a new Warwicks, I hope in a good way. Your mom has been doing fantastic things at the store, contacting and arranging for some outstanding authors. Now that I’m not working maybe I’ll go to one of the evening events. By the time I finished my day I would need a long nap, and that’s probably not a good thing to do during an author’s presentation.

My son Daniel, his wife Rachel and my granddaughter Alice will be here tomorrow afternoon, having driven from Oakland. I borrowed a wooden (!) high chair from a friend who said she’d used it for her kids, grandkids and great grandkids! She should have washed it once in a while. Yuck.

Kidding, it was sparkling clean, of course. Moreen and I have decided instead of having guests stay with us, next time we’ll pop for a hotel nearby. Hotel La Jolla, at Torrey Pines and LJ Shores Drive, charges $100 a night, which is SO inexpensive. We’d rather pay that money than have to prepare the house for guests.

When I visit my son in Oakland I stay at a place arranged through Air BnB. I have friends who have traveled in Europe who used that sharing economy offer. The first one was a little scarey because at about 11 pm there was a guy screaming in front of the house “no, don’t, no…” and he ran right down the alley right by my bedroom and I heard a gunshot.  My hosts the next day said that there was a little “quarrel” in front of the house, and no no no it wasn’t a gunshot. I decided I’d never stay there again.

Daniel said Oakland has a lot of crime, but not so much in the hills where I was staying. He and Rachel weren’t surprised about my experience. I know that you would have had some words of comfort for me since no one else thought it was a big deal. I mean, couldn’t have someone at least said, “what a horrible thing for you to go through.” I like self pity, if you haven’t guessed.

I’m not sure what I’ll do next. I thought about volunteering at the Polanski Center in Kearny Mesa working with kids who have been taken out of abusive or difficult situations and are waiting for foster family care. On the other hand there’s a big music center being built on Fay and maybe the organizers need help with something, even stuffing envelopes. Dunno yet.

I’m looking forward to your tales as a park ranger. Maybe you could write a book. A woman came in this week touting her behind the scenes look being a 911 operator.

Went to see the new Planet of the Apes flick. Good in the theater because of all the special effects, but will be okay on dvd.

Anyway, thanks for the sweet note. Have a good summer.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment