Monday, April 13, 2015

Poem: If I Knew Then

01/05/08

If I knew then what I know now
I'd have cleaned the house,
washed the windows,
watered the yard.
I'd have called my sons and sister
and talk about our dreams
if I knew then what I know now.

I heard the rain, calling, join me
in this celebration, twirl and
dance, laugh, and sing
yell hello to the heavens,
wave to neighbors,
jump up and down
hug the postman
greeted everyone with a smile
if I knew then what I know now

I traveled far in thoughts and hopes
never wanting to leave the softness of
my comforter, the fragrance from my pillow,
the quiet of the rooms at night
a pantry full of sweets I should have eaten
caring less for a balanced diet
if I knew then what I know now.

I will always love the Special One
and cherish her in my memory
look again at her smiling innocence
radiating from the living room,
dinner table, garden
the wave goodbye would never end
as we once again embraced
if I knew then what I know now.


No comments:

Post a Comment