Monday, April 13, 2015

Poem: Vegetable Bells

Vegetable Bells
A mustached man in a white apron
pushed his four-wheel cart laden with
fresh vegetables and fruits down our street.
I could hear the bell that rang
when he was in our neighborhood
and his deep, practiced voice telling
everyone he had arrived with his produce.
Cucumbers, tomatoes and com
raspberries and oranges
topped his deep bins, full of color.
I asked to ring the bell, as all of us did
But then, he said, when would people know when I was coming?
We all loved to hear the ringing,
more of a clang, really
but what power he held,
drawing dozens of people from their homes.
We had to bring our own sacks
and sometimes a small box
so when he counted out the tomatoes
they wouldn't bruise as we hurried to the kitchen.
Tomatoes tasted good then and I would eat mine.
Com wrapped in tin foil
cooked on the barbeque made me
delighted with warm butter
rolling over the side
and the small plastic com with prongs for our tiny hands.
I would hold tightly as I ate each row
like typewriter keys
and at the end of each row
I could hear his bell.
A cold orange in the summer was our dessert.
Vegetables at Safeway didn't have the flavor
but the new market was down the street and
there every day so you could buy whatever you wanted.
But the only ringing was when the cash register opened
to take my money.
Sure, the clerk smiled but it wasn't the same
as the man with the cart,
his dark arms covered with sweat
as he pushed his treats around the block.
He was proud of his garden,
that he would harvest, put in his truck
with the canopied cart and boxes of just a few choices.
True, there was more at the market
except the flavor of sun ripened oranges.
The green ones harvested early wouldn't spoil,
and could be died orange in case
the skin hadn't become the right color soon enough.
His bell stopped ringing around our homes every week,
and his cart didn't roll down the asphalt any longer.
Then I missed his smile, he seemed so happy
and it made me want to smile
like him, at least until I could get back in the house.
My little sister and I mimicked his voice:
"What can I get you today, little girl?"
Do you have any chocolate? she would ask
and he would laugh because he loved jokes.
But my sister didn't understand because
the grocery store had candy bars.
So she wanted to go to the market
like all her friends
drawn by the colorful wrappers.
His face was topped by a white cap he'd take off to fan himself
as he watched our mothers sort through his choices,
his pockets full of change when they hadn't bought a dollar's worth,
when a pound of berries cost 15 cents, weighed on the scale
that hung near enough so he could make sure it was exactly a pound.
He flattered the housewives with his words
so they would stay and buy more, but he was telling the truth
that Mrs. Thornton was very pretty, and the nicest mother
on the block because she made ice tea for anyone wanting some
after dinner when we played catch in the streets

with the ball from Safeway.

No comments:

Post a Comment